You’ll find Georgetown, Texas just 30 miles north of Austin, but it’s much more than a “bedroom community” for the big city. Although it was once considered a small town, it’s now one of the fastest-growing small cities in the country, and you’ll find more fun things to do in Georgetown Texas than you can shake a rattlesnake at (not that we recommend shaking rattlesnakes). There are options for everyone from wine connoisseurs to spelunkers, thrill-seekers to those who prefer their adventures to be a little more laid-back. You don’t have to take our word for it, though. Just check out this list of the top things to do in Georgetown TX and beyond:
Home to “most beautiful town square in Texas,” everything in downtown Georgetown is a must-see, from the Downtown Splash Pad to the historic Williamson County Courthouse. There’s no better way to start your visit to Georgetown than with a stop at town square:
- Designed by Austin architect C. H. Page and newly restored in 2007, the historic Williamson County Courthouse is the perfect place to begin your journey. While you’re there, tour the Williamson Museum, which features exhibits and activities for all ages covering the history of Texas and Williamson County.
- From there, a stroll through downtown Georgetown will give you an opportunity to appreciate some of the town’s amazing Victorian architecture and a chance to check out shops, boutiques, restaurants, and more.
- Need to cool off after your walk? Beat the heat at the Downtown Splash Pad or catch a show at the Georgetown Palace Theatre, a former movie palace restored as a breathtaking live performing arts venue.
- Find something new for your walls or just broaden your cultural horizons at the Georgetown Art Center or the Estrada Garcia Gallery.
- Tour a historic chapel steeped in local lore at the Grace Heritage Center or find something to read at the Georgetown Public Library, which won a 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Service!
- Bring the kids or just rediscover your own inner child at All Things Kids, just one of the many amazing shops you’ll find downtown.
- No trip to downtown Georgetown would be complete without a dip in the one-of-a-kind lagoon at Blue Hole Park, the entrance to which is right off of Second Street behind El Monumento restaurant, where you can also enjoy some delicious Mexican food with a spectacular view of the river.
Around Georgetown and Nearby
Of course, there’s more to Georgetown than its beautiful and historic town square. When you venture a little farther afield you can find all sorts of fun things to do in Georgetown Texas and points beyond.
- With a history that begins in Flanders Fields during World War I, Georgetown has become the “Red Poppy Capital of Texas.” You can find plenty of the bright red blooms throughout the city or plan for a poppy tour. Coming through in October 2021? Don’t miss the annual Red Poppy Festival!
- You’ll find plenty of sculptures and pieces of public art all over Georgetown. No visit is complete unless you snap a selfie with the statue of Williamson County’s namesake, “Three-Legged Willie” across from the courthouse.
- Grab a boat or toss in a line at Lake Georgetown. If you’d rather, you can always paddle the San Gabriel River. Got land legs? No worries! You can still enjoy the scenic waterways by hiking or biking along more than 10 miles of trails.
- Looking for more of a challenge? Join your coworkers or a nonprofit volunteer group to participate in the Georgetown Challenge Course. Just be warned: You’ve got to book several weeks in advance.
- Of course, the to-do list in Georgetown isn’t limited to outdoor fun in the sun. You can check out countless unique local shops like Ken’z Guitars and Nathaniel’s Custom Hats. Shop till you drop in the mall at Wolf Ranch Town Center.
- Wine connoisseurs have plenty of places to sample the fruits of the vine, including the award-winning Georgetown Winery and Baron’s Creek Wine Room on the downtown square. If you’re up for a short drive, we’re not far from some incredible vineyards such as the Bent Oak Winery, Grape Creek Vineyards, and The Vineyard at Florence.
- While you’re having all this fun, you’ll need the occasional bite to eat and maybe even a cold beer. Enjoy a slice of pizza at 600 Degrees or some authentic Texas craft brews at Mesquite Creek Outfitters. For something a little more romantic, try a night out at The Hollow or Wildfire. None of that is quite what you’re looking for? Grab something sweet at Galaxy Bakery or a cup of joe at Cianfrani, or cool off with a Hula Cowgirl Shaved Ice.
Off the Beaten Path
We’ve still only scratched the surface of all the fun things to do in Georgetown Texas. From seasonal favorites to skydiving and beyond, you can find one-of-a-kind experiences to fit any budget and any interest within city limits or just a short drive away.
- If you think you’ve experienced all that downtown Georgetown has to offer, think again. Sign up for a ghost tour that will walk you through the history, haunts, and legends of this Texas town.
- If you’re coming by during the holidays, you won’t want to miss the square at Christmastime, when the “most beautiful town square in Texas” becomes even more enchanting.
- Did you know the oldest university in Texas is right here in Georgetown? It’s true! Take a turn through the campus of Southwestern University, and you might just want to stay and become a student.
- Want to get out of the sun for a while? Go deep underground at the Inner Space Cavern. While you’re there, try out the new zip line!
- Do you want to knock skydiving off your personal bucket list? You can take the plunge at Skydive Temple, just north of Georgetown.
- Finally, what could be more Texan than watching some bucking broncos? Stop by in June for the annual Georgetown Rodeo.
Whatever you do on your trip, you’ll find that there are so many fun things to do in Georgetown, Texas that you’ll wish you lived here. Already live here? Then we hope we’ve helped to make your next few weekends a little less ordinary. There’s so much to do in Georgetown that you’ll never have a dull weekend again!
Want to keep up on what’s happening here in Santa Rita Ranch and everything in downtown Georgetown? Just fill out the short form above to subscribe to our Ranch newsletter and stay up to date. If you’re just visiting Georgetown but have decided you’d like to live here, we’d love to welcome you to our Ranch community in the Texas Hill Country. Come tour one of our amazing model homes today!