This pie is beautiful and it tastes even better! It is perfect for the hot summer days and back to school parties! With a butter crust, the sweet strawberry filling allows for the perfect pair of sweet and savory tastes to be created. No equipment is needed to make this yummy crust, so there is no excuse not to make this delicious pie!
Recipe by: The Casual Craftlete
1¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup Butter (1 stick chilled and diced)
5 to 6 Tbsp Ice Water
1 Tbsp Milk
1½ cups Water
1 cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 3 oz box of Strawberry Gelatin (jello mix)
1 quart Strawberries
- Start by making your pie crust. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Next, add the diced butter cubes and cut into the flour using two forks (this may take 5 mins). The butter should be about pea size.
- Add the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until your dough forms a ball.
- Flatten dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has chilled, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a ⅛ inch piece. Make sure you roll the dough out 1 inch edge past the edge of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Carefully transfer the dough into a 9 inch pie plate and press up against the sides. Remove excess overhang and create a crimped edge with your fingers or fork.
- Pierce the dough with a fork. This will prevent the dough from rising.
- Cover the dough and pie plate with two pieces of foil, pressing against the sides. Then add some dry beans or rice to weigh it down. Refrigerate dough for 20 mins.
- Bake pie crust at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 mins. Take the crust out of the oven and remove beans and foil. Brush the dough with an egg wash (1 egg with 1 Tbsp milk) and place back in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside and let crust cool.
- For the strawberry filling: In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, cornstarch and water mixture until thick, stirring as it cooks (this takes 5 to 10 minutes)
- Remove from heat and add strawberry gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Let the mixture cool until lukewarm than add 1 quart of strawberries (I cut my in half),
- Pour the strawberry filling into the cooled pie crust and chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Then bon appetit!!