Nothing says summer like ice cream, but this is an extra special kind that will quickly become your kids’ favorite! Children, even adults, love this idea because you make it in a bag and everyone can help out! The ice cream is actually made by running around with the bag and shaking it up – double win by wearing everyone out!
½ Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream (or half and half)
1 tsp of Vanilla
2 ½ tsp sugar
- Place these ingredients into a tightly sealed sandwich sized bag, pressing the air out as you seal it.
- Then put this into another tightly sealed sandwich bag. Fill a gallon size resealable bag half-way full of ice cubes, and mix with 6 tablespoons of coarse kosher salt.
- Then put the sealed sandwich-size bag into the middle of the ice, and seal the larger bag. I also recommend doubling up the gallon size bags as well, especially if you have little helpers.
- To make the ice cream, get moving! You need to shake the bag for about 5-10 minutes. We run and play tag and other chasing games, and toss the bag to each other. When I am holding the bag, I’ll usually give it a few extra shakes. When the kids are helping, it’s usually about 10 minutes until the ice cream forms. When it’s just me shaking it, it’s more like 5 minutes.
- Then we sit in the grass and share the ice cream! Sometimes we eat it straight out of the bag, or I’ll bring out cups and pass them around. When we’ve had guests, I’ve doubled this recipe -but of course, more cream means more shaking time!
Find your next home in Santa Rita Ranch and start living the fun Hill Country lifestyle.
Photo and Recipe Inspiration From: Growing a Jeweled Road