Winter – a time for hot coffee, warm stew and… fruits and veggies?
When the days get shorter and temperatures drop, many people think the season for fresh produce has come and gone. But there is good news for health nuts – healthy eating never goes out of season! Texans are especially lucky – our mild winters allow for a variety of fruits and vegetables to be in-season during the colder months.
With brussel sprouts and apples in season now, this dish makes the perfect side for dinner tonight. Bring back fruits and veggies to the dinner table with this quick, easy, and delicious side dish!
Recipe is from Back to Her Roots
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed and halved
- 1 large tart apple, cored and diced
- 4 slices, thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl, combine sprouts, apple and bacon and stir until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Pour olive oil mixture over sprout mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour out the sprout mixture in one layer onto a greased cookie sheet. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking, or until sprouts are tender and brown.
Yum! Pick up fresh brussel sprouts, apples, & more at the Georgetown Farmers Market on Thursdays from 3:30 pm-6:30 pm!
See what else life on Santa Rita Ranch has to offer!