Serve up some love this Valentines Day with these scrumptious, heart-shaped, hand pies filled with sweet cherry filling.
Here are some tips to make beautiful Cherry Heart Pies:
- You will need a set of heart shaped cookie cutters.
- After cutting out the top and bottom crust, refrigerate again for about 15 minutes. By doing this, it helps to keep the heart shape intact while sealing the two layers together.
- Make the cherries the day before or long enough for them to cool in the refrigerator. This will help the cherries from spilling out the sides. You will still have a little spillage, but definitely less then if you work with warm cherries.
- Bake on parchment paper and clean-up will be a breeze.
- For Cherry Filling
- 12 oz pitted cherries
- 1½ cups lightly sweetened cherry juice *I used cherries & juice from 24.7 oz Dark Morello Cherries from Trader Joes
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder *cornstarch may be substituted in equal parts
- For Pie Crust– Double pie crust recipe in separate batches to accommodate filling
- ½ lb (8oz) butter
- 2¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup ice water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- For Assembly
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp sparkling sugar
- For Cherry Filling– If using jarred cherries in juice (like the one pictured above from Trader Joes) thoroughly strain cherries through a fine mesh colander reserving the juice. Set cherries aside. Measure arrowroot into a small bowl. Add approximately 2 tbsp juice, mixing well, making a slurry. In a medium sized saucepan add sugar and remaining juice, stirring to start to dissolve sugar. Add juice slurry and cook over medium heat, whisking continually until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly and then stir in cherries. *Letting cherries cool in the refrigerator either overnight or for several hours will help prevent cherries from spilling out through sides.
- For Pie Crust– (Double pie crust recipe in separate batches to accommodate filling) Cut chilled butter into small chunks and place back in the refrigerator while preparing dry ingredients. Measure flour, salt, and sugar into a food processor, fitted with steel blade. Pulse a few times to incorporate. Add diced butter and pulse until butter is the size of small peas, approximately 8 to 12 times. With the food processor running, slowly pour ice water through the feed tube and then pulse the machine until dough begins to form a ball. Dump dough onto floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 60 mins or until needed.
- Assembly – Preheat oven to 400℉. Cut refrigerated dough in half and then roll each half on a well-floured board into a circle. Using a rolling pin, roll from center to the edge, turning and flouring dough to ensure it doesn’t stick to the board. Roll between ⅛-1/4 inch. Using largest heart shape cookie cutter cut dough into shapes and place on cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using the smallest cookie cutter, cut a heart in the center of half of larger hearts. Placed cut pie crust hearts back in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Place approximately 1½ tbsp of cherry filling in center of uncut hearts. Place cut hearts over top of cherry filling. With a fork, poke about ¼ inch from the edge and then press down, closing two sides of crust together. Whisk egg in a small bowl and using a brush, wash down top of pie with egg. Sprinkle the sparkling sugar on top.
- Bake for 15-17 mins in 400℉ or until lightly golden brown.
We hope you are feeling inspired to share the love this Valentine’s Day!
Ranch Code No. 10